Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update - March 26, 2020
At Experi, the safety and well-being of our guests is our top priority.
We have been closely monitoring the global response to the COVID-19 pandemic and relying on recommendations from the US State Department, CDC, World Health Organization, and other relevant authorities at home and abroad. Based on the latest developments, we have made the difficult decision, in coordination with our trip hosts and partners, to reschedule all departures starting on or before June 5, 2020.
We want to assure you that we are making every effort to do the right thing for our guests, partners, and local vendors in this time of uncertainty, and we look forward to sharing our passion for experiencing the world with you by offering the following options:
- Join your group’s alternate date
We are offering each of our affected groups a future alternate date and will gladly transfer your reservation to this date.
- Reschedule your trip on a different Experi departure
If the alternate date for your program does not work for you, we are happy to work with you to find a different date, private trip, or future Experi program that will suit your needs and interests.
- Receive a Future Travel Credit (FTC)
If your preference is to wait to make a decision, we will put your reservation on hold and apply your funds toward a future Experi travel program of your choosing. This FTC is valid for programs through December 31, 2021.
We share your disappointment and appreciate your understanding during this challenging time. As the situation continues to evolve, we have learned that what makes sense today may be different tomorrow. Our planning could be further adjusted, and we will update you as we continue to work through developments.
Please let us know if you have any questions or need additional information to help with your decision process.
Thank you for being an Experi traveler,
The Experi Team